On Sunday we went to explore Bamberg's downtown. Almost all shops are closed on Sundays (even Ikea!) but we figured we could get something to eat and casually stroll the streets and window shop. Well, the town was hopping! All the cafes and restaurants were packed with people having coffee, pastries and ice cream. How do I know this, you ask? Most have seating outside, which was packed, so I took a little inventory of what patrons were enjoying - just for future reference! Here's some of what we saw on our walk...
We parked in a garage, walked along the water, came up the stairs, and entered on this tiny street with flags strung from side to side. So festive!
Behind us is a church. It was WOW inside, but so ornate and big and a little gaudy that I really had no idea what to take a picture of, so I just didn't take any. The outside will have to do!
You see the church on the left, and on the right is an ice cafe where we got a little treat after lunch. But it wasn't anywhere near as good as our little local one. In fact, when we got home that night we drove to ours and got MORE ice cream, just cause we could :-)
We came upon this bridge and building with a pass-thru under. Just so nice!
Looking over the bridge, there's another smaller bridge lined with flower boxes full of geraniums - my favorite! And to the right in the water you'll see some kayaks. They actually have markings (beginner - difficult) for practice on these rapids. We thought that was neat.
This is what you see when you come out of the pass-thru on the other side of the building.
This is a 600 year old church. I wish I could say that we walked up to see the inside and it was beautiful...but we were too tired to walk the hill. Correction, we were too tired to have to carry the kids up the hill!
And this is silly...soccer is SO huge here it is ridiculous! It's a bakery window set up like a stadium with pumpernickel and sesame pretzel fans waving flags. There are teams down on the field as well. Hilarious! The kids got a real "kick" out of it. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Our furniture and "household goods" are supposed to come today. They say a.m., but it will be Noon soon. That's the Army for you! Hopefully we can get the place set up and I can take some pictures to post.








ok, so why have you not changed the kids names to Hanzel and Gretel yet???
ReplyDeleteI read the earlier posts last weekend to Kevin and the kids and they were hysterical, as was I!
It looks amazing there, I am booking a flight! LOL!!!
You all look so happy! I sure hope your stuff gets there today!
Love and miss you!
Kristen
this blog needs an update
ReplyDelete