Thursday, June 17, 2010

Ice





First, I have to say that I found out about the parade - we should have listened to Jones! You ARE supposed to follow the parade. It will lead you to the festival. We'll be prepared for next time!

'Ice' is the German word for ice cream. Everyone in the Stalker family is a huge fan of ice cream. There is a delicious little ice cafe about a 10min walk from the house. We have been there three times already since we got here! And they are open really late, like til 9pm. Which is great, because the sun LITERALLY does not go down until 10pm! It's been so hard to get the kids to bed at a decent hour. And so far there's no hope of sleeping in, either, because the sun starts to rise (along with the roosters) at 4:30am. Side note for my dad - I think this explains the need for the exterior shutters, which I certainly prefer to crime! Anyway, when we went for ice on Tuesday after dinner, I took some photos...

This is one of the walking paths that will take you to the train station or to downtown, but we don't take it to get to the ice cafe..


We walk on a little bridge over the train tracks - there is the local train, which is red, and this train, which is for distance travel. There is a beautiful cemetery right next to the tracks that has little gardens in front of each headstone. There are public watering cans that hang in the middle of the cemetary, and there is always at least one person there when we walk by tending to someones garden.


This is the view coming over the little train track bridge. Not bad!


Dave and the kids on the bridge.


Me and David, and my ice cream, too! I think I got cherry vanilla that time...yum!


Jones and Kinley, with their raspberry cones. They said it was the best ever and wanted that kind
every time. But when we went back the next night (yes, I'm slighly embarassed that we went two nights
 in a row!) Jones picked mocha cappucino and Kinley picked lemon. So adventurous!


2 comments:

  1. I keep waking Jim up laughing out loud at your stories. I'm so glad you are keeping us up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keely- Keep it going! The blog is great and I am so excited that you all made it there safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete