Wouldn't you know that about 30min in, I hit a minor brick wall and am unable to continue without some guidance. I can feel my bike staring at me and I'm not liking it. I don't know how to go on a bike ride through Dade City, let alone Breitenguessbach! I go back and forth. I can either be the girl who is always too scared to try things alone, or the girl who says 'the hell with it! let's ride!'... I chose the latter (mostly because I didn't want to have to face Dave and tell him I was chicken - but hey, whatever works). After packing the essentials - cell phone, euro, keys and camera, I am off. Wait, add to that an awkward dance with me and the bike trying to finagle the door and the steps without busting butt, and then I am off!
Head gear secured. I'm ready!
As I pedal through our town, I'm trying to give the appearance that this is something I've done too many times to even count. But I really don't even know what that would look like. Mentally, I'm gearing up for the turn onto a somewhat major road that immediately takes me on an overpass above the train tracks which will require some gear shifting and mad pedaling. Normally I would just take the sidewalks, but it's against the law here unless you are under 12 or a sign directs it. I must also note that while driving this road, Dave and I curse bikers that ride here because it's so dangerous and hard to see and pass. Well, I make it through that stretch in one piece. As I come to the first crossroads with a stoplight, I decide to take my hoodie off, which requires the untangling of headphones and mp3 wires. I finally resettle myself, and find that a couple has come up and pushed the crosswalk button. Oops! They actually work here in Germany, unlike many towns I've lived where you end up waiting forever and eventually doing the dodge and dash to get to the other side. Well, the female pair of this couple thought it was hilarious that I didn't press the button - I shrugged and said "sorry, American." Then I glance up and am getting this major scowl from an older woman who was waiting on the opposite side. I guess she was a little upset that she had waited so long because of my stupidity. Seriously? It's a Sunday afternoon, and nothing is open, and you're on the bike path. I kept thinking about where she could possibly need to be in such a hurry. But thoughts of her dwindled as I started pedaling. The weather was perfect, the trail wasn't crowded, and the views were beautiful!
Tree lined path opens up to...
wheat fields on the left....
corn on the right. That is the main auto road linking the towns. Bike path is just to the left.
This bike path goes over and around this little river. There is car parking also, and a group of people were in inter tubes just enjoying the water when I pedaled past. Stopped to take a picture of them, too, but a man was peeing under the overpass, so I got out of there! Not against the law here as long as your back is to the people - convenient, yes, but as a newcomer, a little shocking!
I'm fascinated by this energy windmill. Whenever we drive somewhere, we always try to be the first to spot it. We got really close one day, just driving around. What's great is the number of houses with solar panels on the roof. Old houses, new houses, big and small. From what we've seen, I'd say at least 80% have them.
First views of the neighboring town Rattlesdorf. I can't help but think of Harry Potter every time I see a sign for that town.
That sign marks the end of the pedestrian/bike path, which means it was time for me to turn around. I need a little more experience before I go navigating through unmarked territory!
There is our town on the bottom, 4km back. It's pronounced Brighten-goose-bach.
Well, I made it the 4km back. I was so proud of myself! I told Dave about the trip, and he said I should have given the mean lady the finger because "it's universally understood." That gave me a laugh! That's probably the hardest thing about living in another country for me - getting past my fears, and whenever I make a mistake, letting go and moving on quickly! Dwelling is just a waste of time and energy. I'm getting there!









I love the pictures of the house and the pictures of your most excellent adventure riding your bike. I agree with Dave the finger is most certainly the universal symbol, we all know what it means and sometimes it just has to be "flipped!"
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you're all doing so well, love and miss you!!!
Kristen
I almost peed in my pants reading that. You go girl!
ReplyDelete